Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bill Gates, math madness, yuppies, and a humble request

He's a PC


What a day. I've been studying math for the past three days, and even though I spent tens of hours on boundary orientations, exterior derivatives, and all that mumbo jumbo, I took the test completely scared out of my mind. Not sure how I did, we'll see tomorrow.

Between all the math studying and skipping history class, I went to see Bill Gates speak in Sanders Theater. He came to speak on behalf of his foundation, urging us to use our skills to tackle the 'big problems' (global health and education among eight others). It was kind of surreal, I kept imagining that I was watching a commercial with Bill Gates as the star, except he was right there live in person.

Even though Gates' speech was very packaged (he's on a college tour and what he told us was probably no different than what he told Berkeley students), I did pick up on one idea he had. He mentioned how his friends had a fruitful discussion last month about two big topics: March Madness, and financial products. Although he didn't disregard these topics, he wondered how far we as a society are from having fruitful, everyday discussions about something like what makes a good teacher. I thought that was a radical yet very common-sense idea. Until education (and many other topics) are as hot, and fun, as March Madness, it doesn't seem likely to gain political traction.

I'm no education guru, and I don't feel I'll save the world any time soon.

As if to totally put my feet back on the ground, I came back from my math test tonight to read this new feature in The Village Voice about hipsters in Chinatown. Specifically, the article talks about the housing battles of two buildings on Delancey, one block north of where I live. I've been following 55 and 61 Delancey Street for a few years now, because I work with the community organization that defends the low income tenants there. A couple of quotes stick out to me:

" You can tell the neighborhood's changing when you see Chinese stores selling kitchen and bathroom fixtures and storefronts displaying Buddhist shrines near the newish, hipsterish Fontana's, a bar where indie-rock bands from Mexico City play in the basement. Fontana's top floor looks as if it caters to more of a twentysomething bridge-and-tunnel crowd. "

I live across the street from Fontana's. I FUCKING HATE FONTANA'S. I hope I don't ever step into this bar, only to smoke and eat dumplings on my stoop after a drink. Get off my stoop!

"On the other hand, Sela also insists that Madison officials "want to make it, and keep it, Chinatown. They aren't trying to change the culture. They are committed to the culture." She points out that Madison Capital's people sit on the boards of various community organizations and are trying to find an Asian fusion restaurant to place in its empty storefront next to Rocket Joe's."

It's crazy how quickly the one block radius from my apartment building changes. Two weeks ago, NYC's biggest fire in years tore through three buildings across the street. As those hundreds of tenants are newly displaced, others remain under a constant threat. Still, some real estate management companies have the nerve to say they are somehow "making it" and/or "keeping it" Chinatown. An Asian fusion restaurant is not going to do anything for my Chinatown.

-----

A Humble Request

two weeks ago, three tenement buildings on grand and eldridge, across the street from where I live, burned, leaving one dead, 33 injured, and over 200 displaced. please donate whatever you can to the 'grand street fire fund' to help the tenants get replacement IDs.

For a family of four, it would cost over a thousand dollars to replace documents for everyone.This is money that the fire victims do not have. For donation-related inquiries, please contact Peter Gee at 212-979-8381, ext. 112 or at peter_gee@aafe.org.

If you're in the area, please donate clothing to CPLDC at 60 St. James Place.

1 comment:

  1. Just read the Village Voice article. I love how they mentioned Cooper Union art students and Long Island. haha

    ReplyDelete