Monday, March 8, 2010

Feminist Coming Out Day

"I am a feminist because I am inspired by the fierce women in my life and believe all women and girls should have the opportunity to reach their full fierceness."
In honor of International Women's Day, and to kick off Women's Week at Harvard, today was 'Feminist Coming Out Day.' I joined students all around campus in proudly wearing a "This is what a FEMINIST looks like" t-shirt that I got lost in Adams trying to find. The effort was subtle, but I'm sure people noticed. Hey, the guy who swipes my ID card for breakfast noticed. And I was complimented by a stranger in Boston.

Before coming to college, I never embraced the term feminist. I saw it as an antagonizing, and limiting term. But somehow through this crazy healthcare reform mess, I've met more proud, ambitious, and inclusive feminists than I can count. As I 'come out' as a feminist, I think about the strong woman who got on the bus for 17 hrs to lobby in DC, I think about the fierce sisters I have at NAPAWF, and the amazing girls (and guys) I'm surrounded by. I am honored and privileged to join the wall at the ever hidden Adams Artspace, but let's be clear - the voice and power of women and girls is anything but hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment